A young man drives the love of his life to a romantic hillside location. Since they always exchanged gifts on this day, she was not expecting anything unusual when a small wrapped box was revealed. She opened it to find a signet ring, but the wrong initials were engraved on it. She was a little confused until he told her to read the inscription on the inside of the ring – “Will you marry me?” Of course, the initials were her “initials-to-be” if her answer was yes. They came happily the next day to pick out a diamond engagement ring.
As the above illustrates, there are some marriage proposals that are unique, memorable, and a story worth sharing. Any marriage proposal is special and certainly remembered by the involved couple. But in case you are looking for something a little different, we thought we could inspire you with a few more proposal ideas-
Propose where your first date occurred, or where you first met – park, restaurant, campus, library, work, etc. It is a great way to tie in the past to where you are now and where your lives together are going.
- Walk or drive to one of the highest elevated locations you can find – Mt. Diablo, Yosemite, etc… As you to look out at the amazing view below, tell her you want to “lay the world at her feet”. How could she say “no”?
- Have her plan a day trip to her own liking – aka have her plan her own proposal. Gently suggest a couple of ideas so it will be somewhere special. Once you find out the planned stops, wait for an opportune moment to pop the question.
- Send your sweetie on a treasure hunt. Start with a clue at home. Then send him or her on a tour of your favorite spots – all over town or just around the house. When he or she gets to the last hint, the treasure should be you offering the ring. No other clues are necessary!
- Food is a tempting addition to any successful proposal! Spell out “Will you marry me?” in M&Ms, jellybeans, or Hershey’s Kisses on the table. Send your loved one in to read it; when they say yes, you can toast your future with a mutual sugar rush!
- Propose in a different language or lots of different languages – starting with French, the language of love.